DIG of TID transferred after allegation of assassination plot

DIG in charge of the Terrorist Investigation Division (TID) Nalaka de Silva has been temporarily transferred to the IT division yesterday, Police Spokesman Ruwan Gunasekara said.

He said the transfer was made by the IGP under the covering approval of the National Police Commission.

Earlier, IGP Pujith Jayasundara handed over the investigations to the CID after a phone conversation allegedly made between DIG Nalaka de Silva and a member of the Anti Corruption Force about the President, the Prime Minister, the STF Commandant and former Defence Secretary went viral on media and social media platforms

CID questions seven hours from Namal Kumarage

The Criminal Investigation Department(CID) grilled for seven hours Namal Kumara who revealed as to how DIG of the Terrorist Investigation Division Nalaka Silva informed him of a plot to lay harm on the lives of President Maithripala Sirisena and former Defence Secretary Gotabaya Rajapaksa by using underworld criminal Makadure Madush who is absconding court at the moment.

Namal Kumara, a leading figure of the organization identified as an anti-corruption movement, was questioned regarding the revelation he made in this regard.

A team of Police Special Investigations Unit had gone to Namal Kumarage’s house to obtain a statement over this matter. DIG in charge of CID, Ravi Senevirathne had informed Namal Kumarage over the phone and said that a team of police officers were coming to his house because the President had assigned this inquiry to the CID.

According to this information, a top police officer said that the Police Special Investigations Division officers have left his house and a team of CID officers had taken statements from him.

In the meantime, Namal Kumarage said that the video connected to this incident would be handed over to CID today at 9.30 a.m. as informed by CID.

Treasury to absorb SriLankan liabilities

The government decided to create a Special Purpose Vehicle (SPV) under Treasury to absorb the total liabilities of SriLankan Airlines after writing them off its balance sheets, a Minister said yesterday.

Public Enterprises Development Minister Lakshman Kiriella told Daily Mirror it was a pre-requisite to strike an equity sharing arrangement with an investor to develop the national career. He said the national career should start with a clean balance sheet with no debt burden.

“We had talks with the Finance Ministry a couple of weeks ago and decided to create the Special Purpose Vehicle. It is an entity to transfer the liabilities of the national career,” he said.

The Minister said a lot of investors including foreign airlines had shown interest in investing in Sri Lanka’s national career, but outstanding debt volume, accumulated over a period, had been deterrence.

He said the airlines from the countries such as Japan, China and Germany were keen to partner with Sri Lankan Airlines under an equity sharing arrangement.

“We are contacted by a lot of investors. There are several airlines from China alone. But, the liabilities are a problem,” he said.

Earlier, the Cabinet had granted approval for the government to absorb the total liabilities of the national career amounting to Rs.461 billion.

STF head urges IGP to probe allegation made by TID

Police Special Task Force (STF) Commandant Senior DIG M. R. Latheef said he would discuss with IGP Pujith Jayasundara regarding the investigation into the allegations levelled against the DIG in charge of the Terrorist Investigation Division (TID).

During a media briefing in Kandy on Wednesday, Anti Corruption Force Director Namal Kumara revealed that DIG in charge of TID Nalaka de Silva had allegedly tried to use him to frame STF Commandant Senior DIG M. R. Latheef.

The Commandant said yesterday that he was in discussion with the Police Headquarters to take further action as his name was mentioned in the conversation.

He said he would have a discussion with the IGP on the possibility of handing over the investigation to the CID, instead of the Special Investigation Unit (SIU).

No email-hacking: SLC

Sri Lanka Cricket (SLC) officials yesterday said there was enough evidence gathered from its initial internal investigations into the alleged attempt by an employee to embezzle the US $5.5 million of funds due to SLC, to conclude that no email-hacking had taken place.

The employee in question – who SLC officials refused to identify by name, only stating he was the Head of Finance – had been put on compulsory leave until the completion of the investigation being carried out by the Criminal Investigation Division (CID), SLC Chief Executive Officer (CEO) Ashley de Silva said yesterday.

The employee had sent an email to Sri Lanka’s international television rights partners Sony Pictures Network with a falsified board paper which stated that a payment due for the upcoming England series be made to an offshore account, along with a falsified invoice with the details of that offshore account in Hong Kong.

“The board paper had been signed by three employees of the Finance Division, but the two other individuals had claimed during the internal inquiry that their signatures had been forged, and therefore there was insufficient proof of their involvement,” de Silva said.

“We have sent the Head of Finance on compulsory leave because he has been corresponding with Sony in the past and also since the email with the falsified information was sent from his account.”

What was sufficiently proven in the internal inquiry, de Silva said, was that the email had originated from within SLC’s servers, which was echoed by SLC’s IT Manager Nadeeshan Suriyaarachchige.

“Fake email addresses, using the names of the CEO (Ashley de Silva) and COO (Jerome Jayaratne) were used. During the initial investigation, we recovered all the digital data and that is how we have evidence that this was not as a result of email hacking,” Suriyaarachchige said.

It was previously reported by the media that the individual, who is now on compulsory leave, had claimed that his email had been hacked and as such was not involved in this attempted fraud.

SLC’s Competent Authority (CA) Kamal Pathmasiri, who is also the Secretary to the Minister of Sports, said that those involved will be punished if enough evidence came to light.
“We will take whatever action necessary (to punish anyone involved) but only after we can prove it within a legal framework,” he said.